Sunday, October 23, 2011

The road to planning a 21st birthday celebration: the CAKE

I spent sooooooo much time trying to find the perfect cake, design and flavour.
Some bakeries had good designs but bad reviews on taste. Some had good flavour but looked like those neighbourhood ones. Some had form and function but were tooo bloody expensive.

Initially I wanted a fondant cake because it looks soooo pretty! but fondant cakes normally costs around $250 for 30 people.... :O A significant portion of the weight of a fondant cake goes to the fondant. So a 1kg fondant cake will feed significantly lesser people than a 1kg normal cake.

Pretty fondant cake
So the search goes on.............
I chanced upon a old Straits Times article on the 50 yummiest cakes in Singapore. On first reading, my impression was "aiya, must be all from hotels lah. cannot afford lah".

But WOOOOO HOOOO! I found the bakery that I wanted. Not only was Pine Garden on the list, 2 of its cakes made it! Pretty rare for a neighbourhood cake shop. I have a soft spot for all things neighbourhood which makes it big so i just had to check it out.

there were sooo many raves about their cakes! Not only was the price good, they do customisations!
They are really very nice. they did not ask me for a deposit. they really have a lot of faith in the goodness of mankind. wonder what they will do to the cake for the peeps who fly kite..
(there were hiccups tho..... but that is another story for another time.. )


Ultimately, i got a lychee martini cake designed to match my minnie outfit. Oh, the irony.
haha. the entire party has a very deep meaning.

  • lychee martini symbolises my coming of age
  • the cartoon theme party is in hopes that everyone will continue to embrace their childlike innocence
  • and finally my minnie costume is to remind me that classics never go out of fashion. i hope that i will be able to maintain my funk and that it will never go out of style. simply put, i will continue to do stupid things and yet still be be loved and accepted. :)
Total damage: $103 for a 1.5kg lychee martini cake (fed 35 people)


PS: their customisation charges seems to be cheaper when your order in the shop as compared to ordering online. :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India